Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Underwear!

Notice something new in these pictures?  Or perhaps you notice that a crucial baby element is missing?  No diaper - Abby is wearing underwear!  Perhaps the title of this blog gave it away...  We are now potty training!  
For months now, Abby has been sitting on the potty at daycare.  Lots and lots of sitting.  But no action happening on the potty.  There have been a couple happy accidents where pee (2 times) and poop (1 time) have made it into the potty, but those were complete coincidence.  That didn't seem to convince Abby to want to do it again.  We've also been talking about it at home forever.  
This weekend she began requesting to wear underwear.  And not just any underwear - Minnie Mouse underwear.  On Saturday we ventured out to Target to pick out some underwear.  Abby was very excited to pick her underwear and put them into the cart to buy.  
Sunday morning (Easter) Abby woke up and the first words out of her mouth were "I wanna wear Minnie Mouse underwear".  And so it began.  I thought, "What the heck? Let's do this.  Let's see what happens."  Let me also provide a bit of a back story here too.  Brent was off in Lima helping his Dad move into a new house, so I was attempting this solo.  Oh, and my back was in so much pain, so getting up and down off the floor or couch, climbing stairs and lifting a toddler on and off a toilet was not fun.  

So without any planning, reading up on what to do, or anything, I put Abby in underwear and away we went.  The first couple times, Abby wouldn't make it to the potty and would scream/cry out of nowhere and I knew what had happened.  Abby would request to sit on the potty and so we would trudge upstairs and sit on the potty.   Just sit, no pee happening.  Abby would climb off and then not 2 minutes later, would pee in pants.  There were lots of tears shed on Abby's part and if I weren't laughing at the whole situation, I think I would've joined her in the tear fest.  

After nap, I explained to Abby that Mommy just couldn't put underwear on Abby because Mommy's back hurt too much.  Abby was trying to process what my back had to do with her wearing underwear.  The look she gave me was just priceless.  Abby would then say the rest of the day "Mommy's back hurts"

So on Sunday there was no peeing in the potty that day.  Whomp. Whomp.  

Monday morning came and Brent and I decided that we'd slap some Minnie Mouse undies on this girl and send her to daycare.  We packed up many changes of pants/shorts, underwear and socks to accompany her.  The staff in Abby's room know what comes with potty training and so this was old hat to them.  

I was anxious to know what happened at daycare that day, but when we picked Abby up Monday evening, Abby had only had 2 accidents!  One pee and one poop.  WAY TO GO ABBY!  

On Tuesday, Abby only had one accident - a poopy accident. Miss Maggie in the room said that they forgot to put a diaper on Abby at nap time.  But Abby woke up during the nap, went to the potty independently and then went back to lay down on her cot.  (I'm sorry, is this MY Abby?!)  HOLY SMOKES! 

On Wednesday, Abby had one accident and that because she was waiting for a potty to become available.  She couldn't wait anymore and out it came.  The staff in the room shared that Abby let out a blood curdling scream when that happened.  At home that night, she peed 2 more times on the potty.  

I'm completely blown away with how easy this is...am I missing something?  Are we going to have a setback?  I'd like to think that we're doing this in plenty of time before baby brother arrives so she won't regress.  I'm crossing my fingers that that doesn't happen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment