Saturday, November 5, 2011

Night Sweats...Ugh!

Why did no one mention to me or why did I read nothing about post partum night sweats?!  Maybe because I was too busy reading about pregnancy and breastfeeding a newborn that I failed to even read anything else about my changing body...

Let me tell you...I wake up each night (2-3 times in fact thanks to our little lady!) and I'm soaked with sweat from my chest up.  I've even had to do a t-shirt change in the middle of the night because I was so drenched. 

They say the night sweats are due to a hormone switch in the body.  Well, hormones, I have to say, hurry up and switch, I'm tired of waking up with wet hair and clothes and then being chilled as I sit and nurse the little one.  One could argue that I put on something to keep me warm while I nurse.  However, in my sleepy-ish state, my mission is to quiet Abby as quick as possible. 

I do have things set up for my late night/early morning feedings so I have to do as little possible in my sleepy-ish state to prepare to nurse.  For instance, I have a burp cloth ready by my chair (a must have item...don't go anywhere without one!) and a blanket ready to throw over my legs with one hand.  I had to explain to my husband why part of the blanket was left on the arm of the chair as he didn't like it on there when he sat in the chair.  Once I explained myself, the blanket has remained on the arm of the chair ready for my one handed toss.  So I could  have another blanket or zip up sweatshirt (not pullover...too bulky when you have to pull it up to nurse) ready by the chair.  But is that just another obstacle in my mission to quiet Abby as quick as possible? 

An even better solution?  Have my hormones normalize and have the night sweats subside.

No comments:

Post a Comment